And we’re BAAAAACK!
The holidays are over. The Christmas tree has come down (like 5 minutes ago) and my family finally left (like 5 hours ago). I’m exhausted, kinda chubby and ready for some routine…
I have had, at minimum, 2 extra people here at any given time in the past 3 weeks. Some of that time there were 6 extra people in our house. All in all, 8 grownups, 1 toddler, 1 yappy little dog, a mountain of presents, dirty dishes, wrapping paper… and a partridge (or 4 chickens) in a pear tree. It was a little bit intense, a little bit crazy and a lot of fun.
But PHEW. I’m ready to have the house back to myself.
And holy hell, while all this was going on? It became 2012.
Another year to make resolutions. Another year to check things off my never ending list of things to do.
Last year I had a few resolutions. Surprisingly I did pretty damn good with them. The whole house was painted (I totally cheated and paid someone, so sue me), I learned to sew, I planted more (yet somehow managed to grow less), and went to the gym like a crazy person. I not only blogged more last year, I WENT to BlogHer, which was a completely eyeopening and cathartic experience. Because of it, I’m writing more, engaging more and have loftier goals for this year. Watch out world, Here Comes Mama.
I’m proud of what I managed to do last year. I’m excited that I have a WHOLE new year to try things, learn more and have more experiences (good and bad).
So without further ado?
1) Write even more. And not just for my blog.
2) Take a freakin’ photography class already.
3) Buy Photoshop and actually learn how to use it… and not just for editing pictures. I want to get better at the graphic design too. Anyone have anything they want me to practice with?? I’m free!
4) Sew the Kidlets curtains and make a quilt.
5) Get paid to do something…
6) Go through the 8 million photos I have on my computer and delete the ones that suck. Keep the ones that don’t and put them in a hard drive… I know this sounds simple but I’ve been trying to do it for 6 months and I still haven’t finished.
7) Get my schedule organized and get back on track with FlyLady… she keeps my house clean. I love her.
8) Cook one new thing a week… This one will be a challenge, but I figure, 52 new recipes. 52 chances to find something that you’ll like to eat too!
10) Learn how to budget for my family and keep the balance of clean living/eating and low cost. I know it can be done. And for help I’m going to be checking out my BlogHer friend Andrea’s awesome site, The GreenBacks Gal.
11) Get my freaking house organized. I am terrible at long term organization and would love to get better at it. I currently am the queen of piles, a habit that drives my husband bonkers. I want to find places to put things in my house, so that there are homes for things, as opposed to piles of un-filed papers and crap everywhere.
12) Attend at least one blog conference this year. I want to go to BlogHer, but NYC might be a stretch for me… Bloggy Bootcamp in Vegas might be fun though. Especially with my gals from Chronically Distracted...
13) Make more online friends… but make sure to cherish the IRL ones I have as well. A good support system is key to every person’s success after all.
14) Eat well… Notice I did not say diet, or get skinny. I just want to eat well. Balanced, clean, without crappy processed food and too much of anything. Veggies, fruit, real fats, like butter and olive oil, more Omega 3s and less Omega 6s. I’m finishing up Why Women Need Fat and I am loving every minute of it. Check it out if you haven’t!!
15) Spend more time with my family. Spend more time doing quality things together and just enjoying their company. Never know when this little family of 3 might become a family of 4 so for now I’m going to savor every moment I have with them…
So ok, I know it’s a lot. And I’ll try to keep up with them and make them a little more tangible as I go throughout the year. I’ll also do one update a quarter on where I am… just to keep myself honest.
So what is one thing that you’re going to do this year that’s just for you? Not for anyone else, just you.